Monday, May 9, 2011

Feet problems

So the last I wrote I mentioned that we climbed our hardest mountain yet. While we were climbing that mountain my shoes decided they were going to completely where-out and start rubbing my feet raw. It wasn't too bad by the end of that day.... but by the end of the next day they looked awful! (See photo) They weren't like any blisters anyone had seen before but the general advise I got was to take a days rest, soak my feet in cold water, and powder my feet to keep them as dry as possible when I did hike. It just so happened that the shelter we stopped that night was only half a mile from a road. So the next morning me austin and the two guys we are hiking with got up and went to the road to hitch into town and get breakfast. Since I was suppose to me taking a rest day austin carried me on my back all the way to the road and then down the road till we got a ride. Our friend Gravity was trying to get us a hitch while I was riding on Austin's back but around 20 cars past and still no one stopped. By this point austin was getting sweaty and a little tired of carrying me so he put me down for a break. I told gravity to let me try to get a ride. No lie, the first car that past after I stuck out my thumb stopped and gave us a ride into town. The rest of the zero day went fine and the combination of rest and soaking my feet seemed to help alot so the next day we did a big 19 mile day. It was a hard day and it took alot out of us but it was good to be hiking again. When we stopped gravity decided to push on another 6 miles and make it into a hostel that's right off the trail because a cold front moved in. We werent up to the 25 mile day so we stopped short and had a pretty cold night and met up with him the next day. We ended up staying the night there so we could get a ride into town and get our much needed mail drop. And it was fate that my wonderful older sister had sent me a new pair of bright pink shoes just in time! (See photo)
The hostel was a wonderful place and we had a ton of fun with all the hikers that were there. It was a really small building with a tiny livingroom and kitchen area to hang out in but it was crawling with stinky hikers (picture the seen in fight club with all the "space monkeys" filling the house). Everyone bought and cooked food and shared with everyone, we played games and sang songs. It was an awesome night. There was a guy helping the owner named baltimore jack there who is very well known on the trail and after talking with him he gave me an AT necklace (awesome!) I told him ill bring it to katahdin. Ill post a picture of it at some point. The next day we headed out on our way to damascus VA!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment: